Friday, April 21, 2006

I am a Skype convert as of today.

A fellow that I work with suggested that we begin to communicate over skype rather than the phone so that we can pass files and URLs and such back and forth. The final goal, I think, is to eliminate the need to leave the (sound proof) basement for meetings.

So, I dutifully installed the software and was instantly hooked. (I've become a zealot - I've converted two other guys that I work with...)

I have used MSN messenger for many years for all of my Instant Messaging needs, but the ease of use, sound and video quality of skype converted me. I immediately went to Future Shop and purchased a new webcam and microphone.

The other really cool feature with skype is the fact that it can interface with real telephones. So, if I want make a tech support call for some of my software to a user in the United Kingdom it costs me €0.017/Minute. This works out to 2.4ish Cents a minute in Canadian Dollars. Woo Hoo!!!

Conversely, if I want to have a phone number in the U.K. where my clients can get ahold of me, then I can set one up for €30.00/Year plus the airtime costs (€ 0.017/min) . This dramatically opens up possibilities for my business.

Skype Rocks.

No comments: