Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A blog is supposed to be a place to jot down things that you are thinking about.

So, what am I thinking about? Well, I haven't posted for the last couple of days because my life has been a bit of a whirlwind. As a geek, most of that flurry of activity revolves (whirlwind reference) around writing and supporting software.

On Tuesday, I had a deadline to present a data model (in SQL) and prototype front end to the Glenmore Christian Academy Report Cards Application (in Java) - so Monday night was spent in Netbeans. My 3D Box Shot program (in Delphi) had two tenacious people post over the last three days to tell me of a problem with saving the images, and someone canceled an order (this is not good). Also, my Windows Interface (in C++) to Evtech's OHI began spewing pointer errors - but only on two machines - and I can't duplicate them. Finally, the Eluminor Web Application (in JSP) project switched graphing systems to more easily and succinctly display data - so I need to port the existing code base (in Java - they're servlets).

Man, I sound like I'm whining!

I am not seeking sympathy, I'm just trying to clear my head. When you work in five different languages in three days, your thought processes get a little cluttered.

I love what I do. Software development is much more than simply an exercise in logic. It involves a great deal of time management, people skills and some serious tenacity.

The more you learn about this stuff, the more you find you have yet to learn, the more you groan at the cocky remarks you made as a rookie.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall
- Proverbs 16:18

No comments: