Saturday, May 06, 2006

I had a good post planned for tonight, but circumstances changed and, as a result, I must be brief. (See the previous post about starting posts with the word "I"...)

My second web server crashed this evening.

This is actually less scary than it sounds. When you've dealt with server issues before, it's really no big deal. Having said that, it is a problem that has to be handled immediately. Otherwise the phone begins to ring with that special ring that indicates grumpy customers.

The fix involved two things:
  1. A reboot of the crashed server
  2. A quick change in the BIND/DNS configuration

Neither of these things are a big deal normally, but with the DNS configuration out of whack I could not access my server. So, I had no way to reset it remotely.

So, I put in a trouble ticket to The Planet (the guys who have the vault with the servers in it) and 9 minutes later things were back up and running.

Wow.

That is stellar support.

Yay for them.

No comments: